CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 26, 2007

The Equine Protection Program

Okay, so you can ignore the title because I seriously couldn't think of anything better...but it will be explained later on in this post. But before you get to the good stuff, I get to torture you with a survey that you must read in it's entirety before hearing about...dun dun dun...the dream!:

Name: Brianna of courseeee
Age: 15
Years Riding: like 1.5 now (wish it was more!)
About Your Horse:
If you don't have a horse of your own, do a favorite school horse!)
Name: Scotty
Show Name: --Unknown--
Color: Strawberry roan appaloosa
Breed: I should probably find that out
Markings: Abnormal blaze (haha it's so cute) two socks & two stockings
Gender: Gelding
Age: I should probably find that out too, huh?
Do You Know How To...
Braid?: nah
Band?: nope
Pick out a hoof?: yep
Muck a stall?: of course
Sit a trot?: yup
Post to a trot?: yessir
Jump?: somewhat
Load a horse into a trailer?: not exactly haha
Bridle a horse?: yeesssS
addle a horse?: mhmm
Lead a horse?: uh huh
Clean tack?: bridle yes, saddle no
Check for lameness?: only if it's really obvious
Canter?: yup
Groom a horse?: mhmm
Prepare for a show?: i have a good idea
Put on a winter blanket?: ehh
Mix your horse's feed?: not really
Pull a mane?: I think so
Clip a horse?: yesss
Braid a tail?: I've tried but it hasn't worked yet haha :)
Start a foal?: nah
Ride a bucking horse?: sure
Ride a rearing horse?: nope lol
Lunge a horse?: never tried
Compete in a showmanship class?: not yet
Compete in a trail class?: nah
So, what do you do? nothing as of now, gonna get into jumping though hopefully :)
Ride trails?: sometimes. they bore me unless they're super exciting
Show?: not yet
Just ride for fun?: Sometimes :)
Pleasure (Western Pleasure, HUS)?: i ride english, not western
Dressage?: ick no
Jumping?: soooonnn :D
Equitation? meh
Horsemanship?: nope
Bareback?: mhmm
Speed/gaming?: no
Cross country?: hopefully in the future
Mounted shooting?: i'm not into that
Battle reenacting?: no, that either
Foxhunting?: nooo
Endurance?: nah
Roping?: nope
Cutting?: it looks like fun but once again I don't ride western
Bronc riding?: i would never
Ride-and-tie?: nahh?
Saddleseat?: no
Sidesaddle?: eww no
Driving?: nah
Thoroughbred racing?: i like it but don't participate in it
Standardbred racing?: nopeee
Another kind of racing (e.g. Quarter Horse)?: nah
Polo?: polo's intense, but no
Polocrosse?: huh?
Vaulting?: vaulting is cool! still no
Leadline?: nah
Halter?: no
Showmanship?: nope
Lead-in trail?: no
Now for some random stuff!
How many years have you been riding?: one and a half or something like that
Is your horse shod?: I dunno?
Do you know anything about natural horsemanship?: little bits & pieces of info. :)
What discipline have you not tried that you'd like to try?: xc
When was the last time you fell off?: when Blue bucked me off :(
Have you even fallen off before? chyeah, multiple times
Who was the first horse you ever rode in a lesson?: (where I'm riding now?) Cori
How old was the oldest horse you've ever ridden?: in the 20's
What about the youngest horse?: No clue
Have you ever handled a stallion?: Mhmm
What about a foal?: nope
What do you think about helmets?: they keep my head in one piece, so I like them
Do you like giving your horse a bath?: Yeahh it's fun :D
Is your horse really hot, really calm, or somewhere in the middle?: In the middle. Scotty's spooky.
Does your horse spook a lot?: yeahh, see above. he freaks over tiny things.
Have you ever used your horse's tail brush on yourself?: not yet haha
Have you used one of those groomer stones?: ???
Have you ever ridden along a road?: yup, a few times. it attracted some strange looks from people driving by lol.
Have you ever ridden into a body of water?: if a flooded bridge counts, then yeah :)
Do you like grooming your horse?: yessssssss!
Have you ever fallen off at a show?: nope
Do you like petting your horse's nose? yeah :P
Has a horse ever fallen on you?: no, but it's bound to happen sometime.
Have you ever ridden...?
An Appaloosa?: Scotty is an Appy!
A Quarter Horse?: Think so
A Thoroughbred?: nope
A Mustang?: Want to!
A pony?: Mhmm, Littleman :3
A horse over 16 hands?: maybe a 16 hh horse, not over though.
A Shire?: nope
A Percheron?: no
A Clydesdale?: nah but it would be nasstyy :)
An American Saddlebred?: Maybe?
A Morgan?: YES. Morgans are fast little buggers.
More random stuff time!
Do you own a pair of breeches?: like 3 pairs haha
Have you ever walked without stirrups?: of course
Trotted without stirrups?: mhmm
Cantered without stirrups?: nope
Jumped without stirrups?: not yet
Have you ever ridden without reins?: yup!
In your first lesson, were you put on a lunge line?: yeah, but not at where i'm riding now.
Have you ever had a lesson on the lunge line?: uhh no?
Do you like psycho horses?: well they can be entertaining haha.Do you like sturdy, reliable horses?: I like a challenge, but I also need to be able to trust my horse. so for the most part, yes.
Is your horse good about having his/her feet lifted?: NO. Scotty has ouchie feet, and he's bothered by them being lifted :(
Is your horse's mane wild? naahhh
Will your horse ground tie?: ???
What color is your saddle pad?: i always use a red one :)
What color is your horse's halter?: leather (brown)
What color lead rope do you have?: i don't own any, but the barn has like 2390283922 million
Have you ever given your horse Gatorade (or something like that)? nope. but i hear they like it!Does your horse switch his tail and hit you?: sometimes accidentally in the stall. it hurts haha.
Have you ever been to a breed show?: nahh
Are you in 4-H or Pony Club?: nope
What color is the manure fork that you use most often?: nothing specific
Do you prefer straw or felt hats?: uhh neither haha
What color breeches do you like most?: my black oneeess :)
Have you ever won a belt buckle?: nuh uh
Do you ever carry a crop?: sometimes
Do you ever wear spurs?: never
What color is the barn?: brown


Yeah, okay, so now that you're officially bored, I'll start explaining about the dream I h
ad last night. It was highly interesting, and it had a lot of meaning to me. You'll see why:

I was walking down a city road in the middle of the night with Scotty (the horse of course!). We turned into a dark alleyway that held no light at all, yet we continued to proceed down it anyways. It was littered with garbage and I just wanted to get out of there and get home as soon as possible. So we kept walking but I heard a slight noise behind me and I can barely make out the face of a man leaning on the fence behind me. He is fat and bald and covered in grease stains, and looks like he belongs in the cooking area of a fast food resteraunt. Startled by seeing him there I stop for a split second with Scotty still by my side and gasp because I see a long, sharp knife in his hand. I start to walk away again, quicker this time, but keeping my eyes on the man. He tells me in a gruff voice that he was just cutting things with the knife (trying to reassure me that he wasn't going to hurt me) but I could tell he was lying just by his voice and looking at his eyes. I started to jog away quickly and turned the corner. I could hear the man following, so frantically I step up on a crate and then in just a moment I am on Scotty's back and we are galloping away. This is the end of the dream, but the galloping lasts a few moments and it is just the best feeling I have ever experienced. I feel like all of my worries are shedding away and that nothing can catch us.


The symbolicism hidden in there can be interpreted in a few ways, atleast in my opinion. It shows that even in times of fear and trouble, having a horse can help you get through it. Horses are the best animals there ever were, and I can feel a huge connection with them whenever I'm around them. I also see it as, when I'm riding or when I'm with Scotty I don't have to worry about anything other than having fun or just enjoying my time there. Lastly I can also see it being interpreted as the feeling of freedom someone gets when they're riding, the ability to be carefree and unafraid. Just sitting in the saddle gives you an enormous amount of courage and a feeling of security. You probably have no idea how much I love horses and being with them and riding, or know how any of these emotions feel when it comes to horses, but it is the most important thing to me (other than Jesus, family & friends, of course!) and only other horse people can understand that kind of feeling.

1 comments:

Jaina *JJ* said...

i think i cant understand what your talking about. i feel the freedom when im running. (i dont run alot but when i do...) i feel like im untouchable, and invincable. it's a great feeling and i wish i had more time/energy to purse it. (ps- i didnt read the survey...it was HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE) <3